As mothers, most of us face some stress, worry, and overwhelm every day–that’s just sort of the nature of caring for other humans and managing all of the moving parts of family life. But when do the everyday stressors of motherhood cross over into the realm of anxiety? And do you have to have a formal diagnosis in order to own that you’re struggling with this?
For many of us, anxiety can feel so debilitating and unwanted, whether it’s big and diagnosed or small and annoying. But is there a way to reframe it and see some unexpected gifts within these uncomfortable feelings?
We explore these questions and so much more in this episode.
- Yes, it really is anxiety.
- Know your triggers.
- Let go of expectations.
Key Points and Quotes from this episode:
- You don’t need a diagnosis or a lifelong debilitation to have experience with anxiety.
- Our anxiety is usually our body’s way of communicating with us.
- Name it and where you feel it. Ex: I feel tightness in my gut, I feel my heart pounding.
- Triggers could be lack of hydration, lack of sleep, poor nutrition, loose boundaries, certain life circumstances
- Expectations or perceived expectations from others (and especially from yourself) can be one of the biggest culprits for anxiety.
For a full transcript of the episode, click here.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Show
- Cultivate a GoodLife Podcast
- “You’ve Got This” notebook…SOLD OUT.
- Becky Higgins Instagram
- Becky Proudfit Instagram
- Surviving Depression in Motherhood – Episode 107
- How to Get Help for Mental Illness – Episode 108
- Cultivate a Good Life Episode 37 – The Anxiety Attack that Saved my Life
- Cultivate a Good Life Episode 74 – Cultivate Gratitude for Your Body
- Monthly takeaways from all the most recent episodes
This month’s sponsor is InfantSEE, a non-profit program of Optometry Cares. InfantSEE is dedicated to educating parents to ensure that eye and vision care become an essential part of infant wellness care to improve a child’s quality of life. The InfantSEE program and participating optometrists provide a comprehensive infant eye assessment for babies between the ages of 6 and 12 months old at no cost, regardless of family income or insurance coverage.
I am teaming up with InfantSEE for a GIVEAWAY this month!
Here is how to enter:
- All you have to do is go to the InfantSEE website and enter your zipcode to find a participating provider in your area.
- Call to set up a free eye appointment for your 6-12 month old baby.
- Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, and let me know that you did this.
That simple action will bless your baby’s life, AND you will be entered to win a care package. Win-win! Three moms will win a care package of some of my favorite baby items.