Marilyn Faulkner raised five rockstar children, helped her husband start multiple companies, got a Masters degree when she was 45, and published three books (with her next book due for publication in July). She spreads wisdom and laughter everywhere she goes, and she shares some of both on this week’s episode. (I dare you to listen to the entire 30 minutes without laughing aloud.)
She is the mother of Alison Faulkner from TheAlisonShow.com and Andrea Williams from TubbyTodd.com. She also has three incredibly smart and successful sons who may or may not be able to keep up with their sisters in a dance contest. I’m waiting to see that.
I met Marilyn at a branding workshop several years ago and immediately loved her. So when a podcast listener asked me to get a grandma on the podcast who could give us some “looking back” advice, I knew just who to ask. I wanted someone who would give us more than the trite “enjoy every minute” advice that we so often hear, and I knew Marilyn would deliver some true wisdom.
This is one of my favorite episodes to date, so listen in as she teaches us how to raise confident children by…
1) Limiting our criticisms. “You can’t build a wall by taking off bricks.”
2) Talking to our kids like they are already the intelligent adults we hope they will become.
3) Living full lives of our own, and modeling happiness for our children.
For the full transcript of this episode, click here.
Marilyn Faulkner’s books:
Mentioned in the Episode
Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
Miss Manners’ Guide to Rearing Perfect Children by Judith Martin
Alison’s Build an Awesome Brand Workshop: https://alisonsbrandschool.com/workshop/
Marilyn’s second episode on 3 in 30: “What to Do When You Realize You Can’t Control Your Children”
Come to a Declutter your Motherhood Workshop!
Saturday, March 21 in Alexandria, VA
Saturday, April 25 in Pleasant Grove, UT
Thank you to our sponsor, InfantSEE!
Giveaway details here: 3in30podcast.com/infantsee
If you loved this podcast, you’ll love listening to these as well:
- Episode 26: How to Praise Your Children When it Feels Like There is Nothing to Praise with Tony Overbay
- Episode 90: How to Talk With Your Teens Instead of At Them with Brooke Romney
- Episode 43: What to Do When You Realize You Can’t Control Your Children with Marilyn Faulkner