For a long time, I have been wanting to devote an episode to the mothers in our community who have gone through or are going through the grief of a divorce or a relationship breakup.
If you are grieving the loss of a key relationship in your life, while also trying to manage a home and a job and be emotionally available to your children who might also be grieving, the load you are carrying might feel absolutely crushing. I want you to know that I see you, and I want 3 in 30 to be a resource of support and community for you.
Our guest today is Tracie Pinnock, a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist with a virtual psychotherapy practice where she works with women and couples. She helps women cope with the stress of challenging life transitions, such as breakups, dating, remarriage and navigating blended families. She is particularly passionate about helping women overcome challenges that leave them feeling stuck so that they can pursue their self-defined ideas of happiness.
In the episode today, she would like to share with you some of the tools she shares with her clients in order to help them cope with and heal from heartbreak.
-3 Takeaways for Mothering through Divorce and Heartbreak
- Allow yourself to grieve. We tend to associate grief specifically with death, but the reality is that we grieve any significant loss in our lives. When we struggle to acknowledge this about breakups, it prevents healing.
- Identify and utilize your resources. It’s important to the healing process to seek out help for the things you need help with. Sit down and make an inventory of what you and your kids need right now and brainstorm some people or resources that might be able to help.
- Design your ideal life/parenting situation. This is the part of the healing process that is about regaining hope. Journal about what you want your life to look like, particularly in the realm of family and parenting.
Friends, there is healing after heartbreak. I know it may not feel like that in the moment, but there is. You can reach out to Tracie for additional professional support, and don’t forget about our long-time podcast sponsor BetterHelp, which offers online counseling on a variety of topics.
Whatever you are going through right now, please know that I am rooting for you. So many people are! You are a great mom, and it’s okay if you have to turn on movies for your kids for a little while, as you mother through heartbreak. Give yourself lots of grace and room to heal.
- Tracie’s Instagram: @therapist.tracie
- Tracie’s email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Many thanks to this month’s sponsor, Tubby Todd Bath Co! To find out which of their products are my favorites, and to receive 15% off, go to 3in30podcast.com/tubbytodd. Don’t forget to use the code 3IN30TT for 15% off!
- Episode 068: Healing After Betrayal in your Marriage // Mika Perry
- Episode 071: Step-Parenting from Love // Amanda Louder
- Episode 042: How to Love Someone When It’s Complicated or Hard
-Additional Resources from 3 in 30-
- Don’t forget to reserve your copy of the Flecks of Gold Journal, a three-year journal to help you gather the golden moments within your motherhood!
- Join our community of heart-fueled mothers on Instagram!
- For a monthly recap of ALL of the takeaways from the month, sign up here.