May is Mental Health Awareness Month in the United States, and we have an incredible month of education in store. Today’s episode about emotional wellness in kids is a special one to kick us off.
Our guest is Lisa Sabey, the founder and president of Parents-to-Parents, an organization dedicated to helping parents whose children are struggling with mental health by providing clear, practical, and evidence-based information and suggestions through filmed documentaries. Recently Lisa’s focus has switched from making documentaries to making educational materials to support new parents early on to understand how to empower their children with mental wellness skills.
-Lisa Sabey’s 3 Takeaways for Encouraging Emotional Wellness in Kids-
- Parents do not cause mental illness. It is important to establish this upfront because when you have a child who is struggling, it only adds more pain and shame if you blame yourself.
- Emotional wellness in kids is possible, and it is based on skills that we can learn and teach. We as parents can help to arm our children with the skills they need to deal with failure, rewire negative thinking, and manage complex emotions.
- Remember the acronym FAN: F- Face our fears. A – Always connect emotionally first. N – Name emotions as much as needed for our children to understand and process them.
>>>Will you try any of these tips to encourage emotional wellness in kids? What would you add to her takeaways? Tell us in the comments below!
BetterHelp, the world’s largest provider of therapy, done 100% online.
If you feel you might need counseling but are hesitant, nervous, or embarassed to invest in yourself this way, let me assure you that going to counseling will be a gift to your entire family. As you get stronger, so will your family.
BetterHelp is so convenient for busy moms, and you can get 10% off your first month, by going to betterhelp.com/3in30.
I am so excited to introduce you to Jane.Com, our newest sponsor of the podcast. Have you ever heard of Jane? It’s a highly-curated, online boutique marketplace featuring the latest in women’s fashion trends, accessories, home decor, children’s clothing, and more called Jane.Com.
If you are interested in checking out what Jane.com has to offer, they actually helped me create a curated shop page especially for 3 in 30 listeners with some of my favorite items displayed. Go to jane.com/3in30.
-Links Mentioned in Today’s Show-
- American Tragedy film
- Minds After COVID: https://youtu.be/J60HK7Gk1zQ
- Panel discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHxPDuXVWt4&t=193s
-Related Episodes you might be interested in if you like this episode about emotional wellness in kids:
077: HOW TO COACH YOUR CHILDREN THROUGH THEIR BIG EMOTIONS (ENCORE!) // GEORGIA ANDERSON OF KNOW HOW MOM
-Additional Resources from 3 in 30 Podcast-