Trigger Warning: Child Loss
Today we are honored to welcome Nichole Hughes, a mother of 5 from Tennessee who has been through the unthinkable heartache of losing a child to drowning.
Nicole has spent the last three years honoring her son’s life by pouring herself into learning about water safety and improving education for parents and medical providers to keep more kids safe around water. She has successfully advocated to the American Academy of Pediatrics to update their guidance on drowning prevention, and today she will be sharing with us some of the most important drowning statistics and water safety prevention measures that we need to know to keep our kids safe around water this summer.
– 3 Takeaways for Keeping Kids Safe around Water –
- Understand how drowning actually happens. This means knowing the statistics for which situations are most dangerous for your child, depending on their age and even the region of the country where you are living.
- Put layers of protection in place to keep your child safe. This looks like installing door locks and pool fences; always having designated supervision for children when they are swimming and especially when they are in transition times with a pool nearby; and always removing toys from the pool after everyone gets out.
- The very most important thing you can do to keep your child safe around water is to teach them to swim and to self-rescue, starting at age one. Get them enrolled in water safety instruction that will teach them to independently roll onto their back, float, and breathe when they are in the water.
>>>Are these tips about keeping kids safe around water helpful? What would you add to her takeaways? Tell us in the comments below.
June episodes are brought to you by Bravery Magazine, an incredible quarterly print publication for children ages 6-12. Each issue centers around a strong female role model and includes original stories, fun DIY’s, hand-on STEAM activities, and more.
I am so excited to introduce you to Jane.Com, our newest sponsor of the podcast. Have you ever heard of Jane? It’s a highly-curated, online boutique marketplace featuring the latest in women’s fashion trends, accessories, home decor, children’s clothing, and more called Jane.Com.
If you are interested in checking out what Jane.com has to offer, they actually helped me create a curated shop page especially for 3 in 30 listeners with some of my favorite items displayed. Go to jane.com/3in30.
-Get in touch with Nicole Hughes-
- Instagram: nicolehughes8
- Facebook: Levi’s Legacy, Water Guardians
- website: www.levislegacy.com
-Mentioned in the Episode – Resources for Keeping Kids Safe Around Water –
-Related Episodes you might be interested in if you like this episode about keeping kids safe around water –
104: How to Move Through Grief Towards Joy // Anna Packard
13: How to Support those Who Are Grieving // Rachel Gainer
-Additional Resources from 3 in 30 Podcast-
- Order your copy of the Flecks of Gold Journal, a three-year journal to help you gather the golden moments within your motherhood!
- Join our community of heart-fueled mothers on Instagram!
- For a monthly recap of ALL of the takeaways from the month, sign up here.