What if I told you that in this episode, you are going to learn one secret that has the potential to completely change many of the misbehaviors in your home? Would you believe me?
This conversation with Wendy Bertagnole will educate you on a reason for misbehavior in your home. Wendy is a special education teacher who is also a mother of three, and she is here to teach us about sensory preferences. Do you know what those are? It’s basically how much stimulation a person can tolerate within each of the physical senses–how much stimulation they avoid or actively seek out. In this episode, you will hear Wendy explain how identifying and supporting the unique sensory preferences of each person in our family can dramatically improve the environment, relationships, and behaviors in our homes.
You are not going to want to miss this incredibly impactful conversation with a brilliant educator.
– 3 Takeaways about a Reason for Misbehavior –
- We all have sensory preferences! This means that we either avoid or seek out stimulation in each of the seven areas that Wendy described: seeing, hearing, tasting, smelling, touching, and then proprioception, and vestibular.
- Knowing our sensory preferences helps us understand our behavior. We aren’t bad parents when we get overwhelmed and lose it…we just aren’t supporting our sensory preferences! We can make tweaks to help us be more calm and centered in the various circumstances that come up in busy home life.
- Supporting our children’s sensory preferences can help to mitigate a lot of difficult behaviors. This will help us parent with a lot more empathy, connection, and effectiveness.
>>>Are these tips about a hidden reason for misbehavior helpful? What would you add to her takeaways? Tell us in the comments below.
BetterHelp, the world’s largest provider of therapy, done 100% online.
If you feel you might need counseling but are hesitant, nervous, or embarassed to invest in yourself this way, let me assure you that going to counseling will be a gift to your entire family. As you get stronger, so will your family.
BetterHelp is so convenient for busy moms, and you can get 10% off your first month, by going to betterhelp.com/3in30.
I am so thankful for our continued support from Jane.Com, our newest sponsor of the podcast. Have you ever heard of Jane? It’s a highly-curated, online boutique marketplace featuring the latest in women’s fashion trends, accessories, home decor, children’s clothing, and more called Jane.Com.
If you are interested in checking out what Jane.com has to offer, they actually helped me create a curated shop page especially for 3 in 30 listeners with some of my favorite items displayed. Go to jane.com/3in30.
-Get in touch with Wendy-
- Instagram: @wendybertagnole
- Instagram: @parentingbigemotions
-Resources Mentioned in the Episode –
- Click here to get Wendy’s workbook for identifying your and your family’s sensory preferences!
-Related Episodes you might be interested in if you like this episode about a hidden reason for misbehavior –
- 128: HOW TO GET YOUR KIDS TO PLAY OUTSIDE & WHY IT MATTERS // ANGELA HANSCOM
- 164: 3 WAYS TO HEAL YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH FOOD THIS YEAR // NATALIE SHAY
- 120: HOW TO TEACH CHILDREN TO EAT // HOLLY YOUNG
-Additional Resources from 3 in 30 Podcast-
- Order your copy of the Flecks of Gold Journal, a three-year journal to help you gather the golden moments within your motherhood!
- Join our community of heart-fueled mothers on Instagram!
- For a monthly recap of ALL of the takeaways from the month, sign up here.