“The truth is, I don’t like motherhood–and I desperately want to.”
In August of 2016, I wrote these words in an email to a woman I’d never met before but had admired from afar, asking for her advice. At the heart of my message was this question: “How can I learn to love motherhood more?”
My kids were 5 and 2 at the time, and long days at home with them were brutal for me, despite my best efforts to be a patient and fun mom. I felt lost and unfulfilled–but too embarrassed to admit just how desperate I felt to anyone in my real life. It was safer to reach out to someone distant, and that’s why I emailed one of my mom-heroes from Instagram, Kelly Jensen.
I never would’ve believed that just over two years later, I would be talking to Kelly on my very own podcast, reading her that heartfelt plea for help I sent via email and sharing her response with moms all over the world.
It was thrilling for me to interview Kelly for this week’s episode. She’s a mother of five who is known for her contagious love of family life, with her seasonal “Live Lists” and love letters to her children. In this episode, she cheers every mother on with the reminder to value who we are as individuals–and know that it’s enough.
– 3 Takeaways for What to do When Motherhood Feels Joyless –
- Be Intentional. Think about what you value and what you want for your motherhood. Then write them down, read them often and recommit to them.
- Let it go. Don’t worry about what others think of you. Think about what your unique gifts are and breathe those through your motherhood experience.
- Get on with it. Stop thinking about your dreams and get going on them! Consider making a Live List for yourself and with your family, and then dust off your knees and go for it.
>>>Are these tips about what to do when motherhood feels joyless helpful? What would you add to her takeaways? Tell us in the comments below.
-Get in touch with Kelly-
Sign up for my free mini-course on “How to Love Motherhood as Much as you Love your Children”! Go to 3in30podcast.com/learn.
Befitting combines the skill of a seasoned stylist with technology to provide you with personalized frame recommendations that suit your unique look and style. Use the code 3IN30OFFER for 20% off sitewide at befitting.com, plus Free Shipping. **Please note this offer excludes Ray-Ban and Oakley
Jane is a highly-curated, online boutique marketplace featuring the latest in women’s fashion trends, accessories, home decor, children’s clothing, and more. To see my favorite deals, go to jane.com/3in30.
-Related Episodes you might be interested in if you like this episode about when motherhood feels joyless–
- 111: 3 Simple Strategies To Avoid Mom Burnout
- 105: For The Mom Of Littles
- 179: Delighting In Motherhood // Rachel On The Live Free Creative Podcast
-Additional Resources from 3 in 30 Podcast-