The New Year can often feel like a clean slate. It’s a great time to reassess and reset. New year, new habits right?
This encore episode with Dr. BJ Fogg teaches us about creating new habits using his simple A-B-C approach.
BJ teaches at Stanford and is the founder of the Stanford Behavior Design Lab. He’s studied human behavior for over 25 years and coached over 40,000 people on his innovative framework called Tiny Habits. He is also the author of the NYT bestselling book, Tiny Habits: The Small Changes that Change Everything, which is a book I listened to via our sponsor Audible, and it has been helping me to make major shifts in my life.
BJ believes that through the Tiny Habits framework, it really can be as easy as A-B-C to create our own good habits, as well as to help our children design and master theirs. It’s such an honor to have this world-renowned expert on the podcast.
– 3 Takeaways for Creating New Habits in the New Year-
- Identify a Reliable Anchor from the routines in your daily life.
- Attach a Tiny Behavior that you’d like to make a habit.
- Reinforce that new habit with a Small Celebration, like saying, “I’m awesome!” You might feel a little ridiculous doing that, but that’s part of it–if it makes you smile and laugh, it’s wiring in that behavior.
>>>Are these tips about creating new habits in the New Year helpful? What would you add to his takeaways? Tell us in the comments below.
- Butcher Box
- Green Chef: Use the code 3in30130 for $130 off!
- Website: https://www.bjfogg.com/
- Get your Flecks of Gold Journal to kick-off the new year! Use the code LISTENER for 10% off!
- BJ’s Book: Tiny Habits: The Small Changes that Change Everything
- BJ’s TED Talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdKUJxjn-R8
-Related Episodes for creating new habits in the New Year-
- 208: How To Stick To Your Routines // Ashley Brown
- 200: How Do I Stop Procrastinating? // Monica Packer
- 163: How To Achieve Any Goal // Jen Kane