Mother’s Day is just a few weeks away in the United States, and for today’s episode, I want to do something a bit more casual and share some of my personal thoughts about how we as mothers can make sure Mother’s Day is special for us by asking for what we really want and need, or by giving it to ourselves if we aren’t sure that anyone else will come through for us.
Mother’s Day can be a wonderful day of celebration and appreciation that makes you feel all filled up and grateful to be a mother, or it can be a day of sadness and pain depending on your life’s circumstances or even just your life circumstances that year.
Mother’s Day can be hard for a variety of reasons, and I want you to give yourself permission to feel whatever is coming up for you this year. And I also want to give you some ideas in this episode of things you can ask for in advance to help this day feel a little more meaningful for you this year–even if that means a gift you give yourself.
1) A Flecks of Gold Journal. This will be the gift that keeps on giving, as it will help you focus on the joy within your motherhood every day, even in the hardest seasons. It will also give you a place to capture your most beautiful memories as a mom, so they are never lost and can be passed down to your children as a record of your love for them and your delight in being their mother.
2) A little bit of Freedom to rejuvenate and relax and be yourself. This might look like asking for the afternoon to take a nap, go for a hike, or work on a project. Or it might look like signing up for a weekly class to try out a new hobby or going for a getaway with friends or by yourself to regroup. Think about the type of Freedom that YOU have been craving lately and find a way to make it happen this Mother’s Day.
3) Third and finally, you can ask for or give yourself a Favor. What is a project that has been weighing on you that you’ve really wanted to get done? Can you ask your partner and/or kids to help you with that for their Mother’s Day gift? Or can you hire someone to do that favor for you, so you don’t have to deal with it in the midst of your day-to-day motherhood stresses?
>>>Are these tips with gifts to give yourself helpful? What would you add to the takeaways? Tell us in the comments below.
- KiwiCo: Get 30% off your first month plus FREE shipping on ANY crate line with code 3in30.
- BetterHelp: Use the code 3in30 to get 10% off your first month of online therapy!
- Flecks of Gold journals are on sale for $5 off through Mother’s Day! Get an additional 10% off with code 3IN30.
-Related Episodes like this one on Gifts to Give Yourself-