Summer is almost here! For some of us that might bring a thrill of excitement…for others it might bring a shiver of fear. Or, if you’re like me, it might be a bit of both.
As we prepare for summer, I knew I wanted to re-air my episode about summertime success with Jamie Cook. This episode was originally recorded four years ago, and a lot has changed in Jamie’s life and in all of our lives since then, so I invited her to do a follow-up interview next week to talk about summer with older kids. So this week’s episode is an encore that covers some of the basics of staying sane with kids home during the summer, and next week’s episode will be an episode that covers some of the basics of summertime success with older kids.
Jamie Cook is the founder of the Instagram accounts Wander and Scout and 8-Minute Classes. She is a mom of four kids, and she is full of genuinely brilliant hacks and practical tips to make mom-life more manageable and meaningful. She has an adventurous spirit and is always looking to add a bit of magic to the normal routine. Here are Jamie’s three takeaways for how to stay sane with kids home this summer.
- Get up and get dressed first thing in the morning. That goes for your kids and yourself. It helps set the tone for the day, and when we are up, dressed, and ready to go, we are prepared to get out the door easier for whatever adventures, chores, fun, or work the day may bring.
- Troubleshoot before summer even starts and identify some of the areas that make summer difficult for you. For example, if you’re worried about feeding everyone 24/7, can you have a snack shack and labeled water bottles that are easy to access? And don’t forget to stop and do this troubleshooting exercise mid-summer when you need a reboot.
- Figure out a loose rhythm that works well for your family. Some people like to have a schedule and sign up for summer camps for their children, and others thrive on having less structured time so they can be open and ready for adventures throughout the week. Whatever your preference, figure out a basic flow for your days so that you and the kids know what to expect.
>>>Are these tips from Jamie Cook helpful? What would you add to the takeaways? Tell us in the comments below.
- Prose: For your free in-depth hair consultation and 15% off!
- Rothys: Get $20 off your first purchase at rothys.com/3IN30.
- BetterHelp: Use the code 3in30 to get 10% off your first month of online therapy!
- Lisa Andersen of Thriving Motherhood
- Episode 033: How to Get Your Kids to Do Quiet Time
- Jamie’s Bucket List Calendar
-Related Episodes like this one with Jamie Cook-