The Flecks of Gold Journal is on sale NOW for Black Friday! You'll get $5 off automatically, and you can use the code 3IN30 for an additional 10% off!
One of the greatest blessings of my life is that I grew up living close to my grandparents. For the first eight years of my life, I actually lived just a mile or so away from them and we attended the same church every week, and even after we moved to a different town, we were only a 25-minute drive, a drive that we made often as we shared family dinners, holiday traditions, and sleepovers at their house where we stayed up late playing Rummikub and Poker.
When I was a teenager, my grandparents came to all of my choir concerts, voice and piano recitals, and school plays. They were truly a part of my high school experience and got to know my friends, who all called them "Grampy and Grammy."
There's really no way to put into words the impact that my grandparents have had on my life, and when they passed away in 2019 and 2021, I mourned deeply and also marveled that I had been so richly blessed to have such incredible mentors in my life.
Not everyone is lucky enough to have such a close relationship with their grandparents, but I can tell you from personal experience that it richly blesses a child's life when he or she has the opportunity for this kind of cross-generational mentorship and nurturing. And my podcast guests today are on a mission to make that possible for more families.
Richard and Linda Eyre are parents of nine children, grandparents of 34 children, and great-grandparents of 54 children. They have written over 52 books on parenting, including several New York Times Bestsllers, and have spoken to groups all over the world on the topics of parenting, life-balance, and family-strengthening. They have also been frequent guests on national TV shows like Oprah, the CBS Early Show, Prime Time Live, Today, and Good Morning America--and they are now devoting their writing, teaching, and speaking to Grandparenting.
3 Takeaways from Richard and Linda Eyre on Intentional Grandparenting:
- The relationship between children and grandparents can be a decisive factor in the long-term confidence and resilience of a child. Grandparents can be champions for their grandchildren in ways that parents may not be able to be because grandparents often have more time, space, emotional distance, and perspective than parents who are in the trenches.
- Traditions and routines with grandparents can present opportunities to build confidence and connection in children. This might include something like a yearly interview on their birthday, Grammy Camp in the summer, a family history night during your annual family reunion where you tell memorable stories about your ancestors, or a weekly or monthly Zoom call.
- Parents have the stewardship over the children, and grandparents are the secondary support. This means that grandparents offer more encouragement than unsolicited advice. I love the idea of having a quarterly meeting with grandparents to talk about how children are doing and what grandparents can do to be a support. While these conversations may feel forced and a little uncomfortable at first, as you do them more frequently, my guess is that you'll come to trust each other more and the synergy and support will only grow.
>>>Are these tips from the Richard and Linda Eyre on Intentional Grandparenting helpful? What would you add to the takeaways? Tell us in the comments below.
-Get in touch with our Guests! -
- BetterHelp: This episode is sponsored by BetterHelp. Use the code 3in30 to get 10% off your first month of online therapy!
- Kiwi Co: Get your first month of ANY crate line FREE at kiwico.com/3in30
-Mentioned in the Episode-
- In the Arena Podcast
- BBC Poll: Pandemic’s Varied Effects on Wellbeing
- Eyres on the Road podcast
- Book: Being a Proactive Grandfather
-Related Episodes like this one with the Eyres-
For today’s episode, I pulled a beautiful interview from the archives with a friend of mine. Tessa Brown is an artist and a mother of three who strives to live each day with intention and love. The idea for this episode came several years ago when she emailed me and shared a bit about…...READ MORE
ANNOUNCEMENT: My Flecks of Gold Journals are not going to be for sale again until November. Go to 3in30podcast.com/flecksofgold to see the journal and read more about how it works. Act now! We only have a few left in stock! *** Alyssa is the founder and CEO of Seed & Sew, an organization committed…...READ MORE
Mom-life often feels anything BUT simple. Managing toddler tantrums, managing work deadlines, managing sick kids who call from school and mess up those work deadlines, managing emotional and behavioral needs…Did we miss that doctor appointment I scheduled a month ago? And how will I get there when I am also supposed to be dropping off…...READ MORE
For years, I have aspired to have a better morning routine. If you’re a long-time listener of the show, you’ve heard me talk about this many times. I am naturally a bit scattered, and consistency and discipline don’t come easily to me–but I know a solid morning routine would make my whole life run more…...READ MORE
I chose to invite my friend Susie Salinas to come on the show to talk about family systems because this is the only goal I have set myself for this new year. In 2023, I want to invest some major focus and energy into getting good systems in place for the management of my home…...READ MORE
Our Flecks of Gold Journals are going to be a seasonal offering only. If you want to change your perspective on motherhood in 2023, order your own beautiful, linen bound, Flecks of Gold Journal today by going to 3in30podcast.com/flecksofgold. This journal won’t be for sale again for almost a year, so hurry and grab…...READ MORE
Awww, the unique challenge and blessing of having a strong-willed child. If you have one, or several, you know what I’m talking about, and in today’s episode I am interviewing an expert who is going to help us! Wendy Snyder is a Positive Parenting educator and family life coach & advocate who first got started…...READ MORE
I struggled to decide when to air this episode about new year’s traditions, but I’m giving it to you now with the caveat that you can just let these ideas simmer over the next few weeks, and then, if you want to, take action in a way that feels exciting to you and that aligns…...READ MORE
The Flecks of Gold Journal sale ends today! Get $5 off automatically through December 5th, and get an additional 10% off with the code 3IN30. Go to https://shop.3in30podcast.com/ to learn more! If you already have a journal and love sharing it with others, we have something for you as well. We just launched…...READ MORE
For today’s episode, we’re addressing the all-too-common “Mom Burnout.” Do you ever feel the overwhelm, the exhaustion, the feeling of having too little time and resources and support to do all you need to do? How do you get past this feeling? How do you find joy in your motherhood and feel more…...READ MORE