If you’ve listened to my podcast for very long, you know that I’m a huge fan of therapy. Counseling has helped me change my perspectives about myself, the world, my experiences, and it’s not an exaggeration to say that it has fundamentally changed who I am. And in today’s encore episode, you’re going to hear me dive deep into some of my personal epiphanies that I’ve had while in counseling. It’s my hope that you might relate to some of my story and gain some insight into yourself as well.
This summer I am re-airing some of my very favorite episodes of 3 in 30 that align with my three pillars of Self-Assured Motherhood, and this episode dives deep into the first and foundational pillar: Know your Self. I talk often in my nine-month long Self-Assured Motherhood program about the importance of studying your story–or in other words, examining your childhood and the factors that impacted you while you were growing up to see how they might be showing up in your life today.
This episode is a perfect example of what it looks like to Study your Story in order to Know your Self better, and towards the end of the conversation, Monica and I give three takeaways about how you can dig into your past and heal from any lingering heartaches that you might have from your childhood, even if you had a really beautiful childhood like I did. Sometimes there’s still just a whole lot of stuff that you need to figure out and examine.
Takeaways on How to Let Go of Hard Stuff From Your Past:
- Write letters (that you never have to send!) to process experiences or feelings that are burdening you.
- Think back to the activities and passions you loved as a child, and do them again.
- Envision yourself as a child, maybe even find a photo of yourself as a child, and remember that that little girl is still a part of you! As you work on developing a more compassionate inner voice, give yourself the grace, comfort and protection that you would a child in your life.
>>> How do you overcome hard things from your past? Tell us in the comments below.
- Declutter Your Motherhood: An audio course, which helps overwhelmed mothers to simplify their mom-life so they have room for more joy! Go to 3in30podcast.com/declutter.
- BetterHelp: This episode is sponsored by BetterHelp. Use the code 3in30 to get 10% off your first month of online therapy!
- KiwiCo: Get 50% off your first month plus FREE shipping on ANY crate line at kiwico.com/3IN30
Mentioned in the Episode
Monica’s podcast: aboutprogress.com
Original episode aired on About Progress: “Overcoming the Complexities of Our Childhood”
Related Episodes like this on How to Let Go of Hard Stuff From Your Past:
- 104: How to Move Through Grief towards Joy // Anna Packard
- 205: How to Coach Yourself through Big Emotions // Georgia Anderson
- 213: How to Shop your Mind to Choose Joyful Thoughts // Emily Ricks
- 224: Self-Silencing: What is it, and how can we stop doing it? // Amber A. Price
- 248: 3 Small Shifts that Lead to Soul Shifts // Rachel Macy Stafford